Sunday, August 22, 2010

Seitan / Korean Seitan Tacos

Up until last week my experiences with Seitan had been limited. I ate it in January at Teaism in Washington, D.C. and thought it was tasty, but nothing to write home about. This all changed in recent days.

Just to clarify, seitan is a meat replacement made from gluten protein extracted from wheat. It has been used for centuries in Asia and is sometimes referred to as "mock-duck" or "wheat meat." However, both of these names disgust me, so I will continue to use "seitan."

It all started when I went to Local 44 for a beer last week. I got the Allagash tripel and it was delicious, but in the spirit of tripels it had a high alcohol content and I realized that it would be best if I ordered dinner immediately. So, I ordered the seitan reuben and IT WAS DELICIOUS.

My mind had been blown by that sandwich, and I knew that seitan needed to become a staple in my diet. Then, the next day on the local morning news show two chefs from the Horizons vegan restaurant were demonstrating how to make Vegan Korean Seitan Tacos. I knew that these tacos were part of my destiny. So after going to four grocery stores, making seitan from scratch, and toiling over the stove, this is what I came up with:
It was actually the most delicious thing that I have ever made. This is one time you will hear me say, Hail Seitan!

No comments:

Post a Comment